Thursday, October 13, 2011

Judging a Book By Its Cover (5)

Everyone's heard the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover", but sometimes, you've got to admit you do. Judging A Book By Its Cover is a weekly meme hosted here at Lost In A Book where you can show books you judged by its cover, whether it's an awesome cover and an equally awesome book, a cover and book you didn't enjoy, or even a great cover, bad book, or bad cover great book scenario.

Want to join? Please do! Just grab the button and link back here!
This weeks judging

Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls #1)Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.
I honestly don't know if I love this cover or don't.  It doesn't seem to have much to do with the book, but it also is really pretty.

All in all, I'm giving the cover a 3/5, and I gave the book a 4/5.

Click HERE to read my review of SWEET VENOM.

2 comments:

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

It is quite a pretty cover, but I don't think it would stand out much amongst some of the other YA titles on the bookshelves out there. I think there are a lot more covers that are much more striking.

Anonymous said...

I actually think this cover works, with what I know of the story. I think the tendrils at the end of her braid look almost alive to me, the way they're curled and all pointing different directions, which fits fairly well with the fact it's a novel based on the myth of Medusa. A braid by itself could be considered almost serpent-like, if you want to go that far with it, too. :P

Just my two cents. I do agree there are a lot more eye-catching covers out there right now, though. I think I would have liked to see a touch more colour in this one, perhaps. It's pretty as is, just (a LOT) more understated than many others.